Finishing one “job” just to head to another. Multitasking, burning the candle at both ends, just trying to keep up. But the problem is, everything we do needs 100%. So how do we keep that focus ALL DAY and into the night?
There are things you can do to bring focus into your life. CBD is a part of that. Cure Crate Co-Founder, Alexandra Mulconnery explores what we can do for focus, clarity, energy, and how CBD fits into that equation.
1. Make Sure the Basics are Covered
Let’s talk about sleep, nutrition, exercise, and hydration. These basics are vital to keeping your brain humming along, and lack of any of these will affect energy and the ability to concentrate and focus.
- Sleep: Poor sleep can cause your body to produce the stress-response hormone cortisol, leading to slower reaction and comprehension. Inadequate rest can lead to short-term daytime cognitive impairment as well. The good news: thankfully, there is evidence that improving sleep can boost both short- and long-term cognitive performance. Better sleep equals sharper thinking (and CBD can help with that!).
- Nutrition: Brain fog symptoms such as fatigue, anxiety, and disorganized thoughts are often stimulated by nutritional deficiencies. Your brain requires a constant supply of fuel to work, and that’s why a balanced and healthy diet is crucial to brain function. Beyond brain fog, multiple studies have found a connection between a diet high in refined sugars and impaired brain function — and even a worsening of symptoms of mood disorders, such as depression. Hand in hand with this is reducing your alcohol. Most of us know the true brain fog of a hangover, and it is not pretty!
- Exercise: Physical activity immediately boosts the brain’s dopamine, norepinephrine, and serotonin levels—all of which affect focus and attention. A workout is a “no-brainer” to battle brain fog.
- Lastly, Hydrate: Not drinking enough water may lead to dehydration, which can slow bodily functions, leaving you feeling sluggish and tired. Even mild dehydration affects your brain. Researchers found that fluid loss of 1.4% after exercise impaired both mood and concentration in a study in young women. Drink up!
2. CBD Can Help with Focus
Taking care of the basics will help keep your body strong, and your mind focused, but what can we do BEYOND the basics? That’s where CBD comes in.
First off, it’s important to point out that using Hemp CBD helps with clarity and focus, much different than marijuana, which can lead to hindered memory and focus. Hemp is a cannabis plant with high concentrations of cannabidiol (CBD), and it carries almost no THC (below 0.3%). Marijuana contains higher THC levels, which have psychoactive effects- these effects can result in feeling “high.”
Studies have shown that the soothing and healing properties of CBD combat anxiety, sleep issues, and pain – all issues that affect our overall energy levels. When we combat these three issues with CBD, our overall energy and mindset are positively affected. CBD is also a known stress fighter. Stress affects sleep patterns. Bad sleep brings on stress. It becomes a vicious circle! CBD lowers stress levels and helps with sleep – all important for your cognitive abilities during the day.
So how does CBD affect your body? It all has to do with the endocannabinoid system, which ensures overall wellness through neurotransmitters that regulate most body functions, including appetite, pain, mood, sleep. The neurotransmitters also modulate motor and sensory functions and energy, attention, focus, and memory. When there are not enough of these chemicals, the effects on the body include low concentration and focus, heightened anxiety, depression, sleeplessness, and more. The endocannabinoids have similar properties as phytocannabinoids (compounds extracted from plants, like CBD). When there is a shortage of the internally produced endocannabinoid and negative effects occur to the body, CBD counteracts that, having a positive impact. Supporting the endocannabinoid system can relieve symptoms that cause emotional, mental, and physical issues, including focus and concentration. Also, CBD has a direct or indirect positive effect on dopamine and cortisol. Bringing stress levels down and allowing clear-mindedness to come through.
So, long story short. It’s important for MANY reasons, including focus, to keep the endocannabinoid system balanced, and CBD helps to do that. How do you consistently do that? You make CBD part of your daily ritual.
3. Rituals Are Important
My friend was on the right track with exercise. Taking a quick run between tasks is excellent for waking up the brain, blood flow, and overall energy. An exercise ritual is a perfect transition.
So you’ve done your run, are sitting at your desk, and you need to tell your brain it’s time to turn on for the next thing. My advice, It’s the perfect time to pour yourself a beverage. Not a cocktail (too much to do!), but a beverage that increases focus AND stress relief. Enter CBD.
Depending on the day, there are lots of ways to bring CBD into your ritual. A personal favorite of mine is an all-natural CBD Seltzer with botanicals that are geared toward focus, and my absolute favorite is a grapefruit rosemary flavor. I’ll do a seltzer, or maybe a tincture with some extra energy ingredients to add to the seltzer, especially when it’s later in the afternoon and I need something to get me ready to put in a second shift. If it’s a chilly day, I love some CBD tea or add a flavored tincture to my coffee. The beverage ritual is my absolute go-to. It symbolizes the start of the next job and brings with it clarity and focus.
On those days that you need that extra, EXTRA motivation… another option has a bit more energy and pick-me-up: CBD capsules with extra energy. CBDaF Energy Capsules are a particular favorite. Powerhouse focus, we got this! They’ll give you a true spring in your step.
How about trying a favorite edible you like – that you can use as a treat? Tell yourself: “When I focus for 25 minutes, I’ll take a five-minute break and have one of those delicious CBD gummies.” Not only will they help you focus, but they will also help you sleep when it’s time to wind down. The calming effects of the CBD parlay into a great night’s sleep, and that’s a win-win.
So there you have it. CBD and focus are a thing – and work beautifully together!
Life is busy and hectic, and we all feel more and more scattered. Being able to focus on one thing at a time is a challenge. Take this advice. Take care of yourself. Incorporate CBD into your life, create a ritual. Help your body and mind settle down and FOCUS.
Have you tried CBD for focus? An excellent place to start: the Cure Crate CBD subscription box. We take the time to get to know each of our customers. That way, we can pair you with the brands we know, love, and trust. We’ll answer your questions, or you can start subscribing today!