I don’t know if I love this cake or its name more. It pairs wonderful with a hearty meal like Oven-Roasted Pork Ribs. You can use a 9-inch cast-iron skillet if you’re very trendy and have lots of kitchen gadgets or a plain old 9-inch cake pan. Swapping the pineapple out for apricots, peaches or plums makes for another interesting variation. What’s your favourite?
For the topping:
- 7 slices canned, unsweetened pineapple (a 20 oz can)
- 6 tbsps THC-infused butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 19 maraschino cherries
For the cake:
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 8 tbsps buttermilk or plain full-fat yogurt, divided
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 6 tbsps unsalted butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Drain the pineapple rings and and place on paper towels to absorb excess moisture.
- Place THC-infused butter in the skillet or cake pan and place in the oven until the butter is melted. Tilt the pan to coat all the sides with the butter. Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over the bottom of the skillet or pan.
- Arrange one pineapple ring in the centre of the pan and six more around it. Place a maraschino cherry in the middle of each ring and in any other spaces. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, 2 tbsps of buttermilk/yogurt and vanilla.
- In a large bowl or your stand-up mixer, whisk together flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, soda and salt.
- Add unsalted butter and remaining buttermilk. Beat on low until the flour is moistened and then increase mixer speed to medium for 90 seconds.
- Add egg mixture in thirds beating for 30 seconds between additions and scraping the bowl.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan or skillet. Spread evenly.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and tilt the pan in all directions to make it easier to detach. Let cool for another 5 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate or a wire rack. Scrape any remaining brown sugar and butter mixture on the bottom of the pan back onto the cake (this is where the THC is, so it would be a shame to leave it behind!).
- Serve warm or cool with ice cream or whipped cream on top.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
How to Make THC-Infused Oils:
THC is oil (and not water) soluble. Because THC escapes at temperatures higher than 325 degrees Fahrenheit, recipes must never bring food to higher temperatures, i.e. no deep-fry.
There are two main methods that i recommend for preparing the THC oil called for in all recipes: The Slow-Cooker and the Double-Boiler method. Other preparations tend to burn either the oil or the marijuana and are not recommended.
Place 5g of vaped-marijuana or 2.5g fresh marijuana for every 1/2 cup oil in a slow cooker. If you are using butter, add 2 tbsps water. Turn on slow cooker at low setting and let sit for 24hrs, stirring occasionally. Strain through a cheesecloth into a mason jar. Store in the fridge. For butter, let sit in the refrigerator for an hour to let the fat and oil separate and then scrape off the butter.
Same as slow-cooker method, but using a double-boiler set to low. Check water levels regularly. Please, do not leave the house with an unattended element or burner on.
Yield: About 1/3 cup oil for every 1/2 cup originally added